Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Filleting and Fiberglassing

To make the unsinkable ship, I will coat my boat with epoxy and seal the joints and cracks as well as the bottom with fiberglass.  I ordered my epoxy and fiberglass supplies from Raka.com.  I spoke to Larry, the owner of Raka, on the phone and told him what I was building.  He knew exactly what I would need and how much.  You can see what I ordered below.

Fiberglass cloth, epoxy resin, epoxy hardner, wood flour (fine saw dust), two mixing cups, and a squeegee

I also bought the materials to cement my seats and make them sturdy through a process called filleting.  I put on some latex gloves and I mixed the epoxy resin and hardner together with some wood flour to create this brown paste, which I used to fill in the cracks/joints of the seats.
  
I used a tongue depressor to fill the cracks in with the epoxy-wood flour  mixture
Next, I cut strips of fiberglass cloth before I mixed a batch of just resin and hardner.  I read in one of my books to mix epoxy in small doses because it will harden quickly.  Luckily, I took that advice, but I when I worked too slow, the epoxy in my mixing cup began steaming and turned into a solid block of glue.  And that was the end of that batch!
Strips of fiberglass cloth (approximately 3" wide)
I laid the fiberglass strips over top of where I began filleting with the brown paste and painted the epoxy over top of it with disposable paint brushes.  This turned the fiberglass nearly crystal clear.  I walked around my boat and added another layer of strips, overlapping two inches of the original layer.

The wet spots is where I covered the fiberglass with epoxy.  The toilet paper looking pieces is excess fiberglass I didn't paint over.  You can see the difference between cloth that's been epoxied and the cloth that hasn't.
This was my first fiberglass/epoxy experience.  Really messy...just as I had read and anticipated.  I'm glad I got my first practice on the hard-to-see spots.  I'm having nightmares about screwing up in critical places.  I've got plenty of materials to work with if I mess up...I hope.  Larry,  did you calculate in a little extra for me??
Flipped my boat over after the epoxy was dry.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment