Monday, May 21, 2012

Finishing up!

The boat/paddle board party did happen on Saturday, but since I'm behind on my blogging, I can't tell you how it went quite yet.  For now, you can read about how the finishing touches went.

I decided to give my board a little bit of color with Posca paint pens.  Check out the progression:


I painted Diamond Head on the bottom of my board.  I've learned that this view of Waikiki beach is not as iconic as I once thought--it was either unrecognizable (in part because of my lack of artistic training) or "Diamond Head" was thought to be a snake.  I chose to incorporate a Hawaiian theme to pay homage to my home island--Oahu.

Once I finished the painting, I laid fiberglass cloth over the entire bottom, poured epoxy, and squeeged it smooth.  About two inches folded onto the sides.

Bottom of the paddle board

Bottom of the paddle board with fiberglass cloth

Bottom of the paddle board after epoxy has been spread over the fiberglass
I did the same with the top deck after the bottom dried.  After all the epoxy had dried, I laid the board upside down again and added skegs.


Gluing the skegs on


No comments:

Post a Comment