Wednesday, March 23, 2011

That's right.. we're building a boat!

About three weeks ago I woke up one morning and realized I was having a mini crisis.  As always, I confronted my friends:


me: i feel like doing something cool, but i dont know what
Natalie: today? you mean a hobby
me: no.. in my life..
Natalie: a trip?
me: like..  an experience. not sure what. something i can do and later i can say i did it. and it was good. or i did a good job at it
.. now that my name isn't appearing in the centreview**.. i just dont feel as accomplished as i used to



Megan: hahah what??? how often was your name appearing in the Centreview?


**Centreview - local hometown paper




Ok, ok, so maybe my name wasn't appearing in the local newspaper THAT often in the early to mid 2000's, but it was often enough that I never had self image problems as a chubby teenager (reality - Facebook did not exist for noncollege students, so I did not see many pictures of myself) and I somehow thought neighbors at the Giant grocery store would actually recognize me (reality - never really happened).


So then out of nowhere...


Bonnie: what kind of inventive things do you want to do?
 me: well i just googled how to build a rowboat



And that's how this idea came about.  Although Bonnie so kindly told me that building a rowboat would not get my name in the Centreview again, the thought of building my own boat and taking it out on the water sounded so beautiful that I started telling everyone about it.


Of course, I had to lure someone in with me (as I do with all of my schemes).  So regardless of whether Katy actually wanted to do this or not, she agreed to help me build the boat (hence the blog title "WE'RE Building a Boat) ...she's so nice :)  With that said, it will be OUR boat...kind of like when two people share a dog..or a child.






Please follow me through my posts.  I will keep everyone updated on our progress...or regress.  If you have tips or suggestions, or just want to drop a hello, please comment.  If you have mean things to say, say it on your own blog. 


(Actual Gchats were copied and pasted into today's post)

5 comments:

  1. i want to be on the boat too :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Bonnie Hobbs would write this endeavor up in the Centreview if you asked her. For those who don't know, she is only the best local reporter this side of the Mississippi. I mean, check out all the breaking news she covers: http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/search.asp?type=basic.

    But really, this jaunt is cool. And I wanna be on the boat with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of boat are you going to build? Let me know if I can help out! I've never built a boat or much of anything else but I'm always willing to learn and I have pretty strong arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adriana, I will most definitely use you for help. We're going to build a small skiff, much like these: http://unclejohns.com/skiff/gordonjan/g-and-jan0001.jpg

    ReplyDelete